30 March 2017

Replication

I'm not a Snapchat user. I'd tried it for all of three seconds and I thought it was silly, so I'd deleted the app (though I still, technically, have the account).

So, when Instagram brought Stories to their network, I was fine with it because it didn't duplicate functions, I could still use Instagram, and it was something of added value (most of the time). It still didn't have as many bells and whistles as Snapchat does, from what I've gleaned, but it's been relatively okay.

And the. Facebook Messenger came out with a stories interface (calling it "My Day"). And then WhatsApp. And now the main Facebook app itself!

 

Facebook just can't quit!

I understand there may be people who use only one of the four apps (though more than likely it's at least two). If you're in iOS and want to use the Messenger feature of Facebook, I believe they're still forcing you to use Messenger (though sideline reading just now, I've just discovered one can actually use it on its own, and that it's an Android thing, too) if you want to chat with your Facebook friends.

As a person who has all four apps, though, it's just plain annoying! I just want one, ubiquitous app! I remember I'd felt kind of fuming when Google decided they were going to spur Photos and Hangouts out of Google+. So, I have a bunch of apps when I used to have just one go-to app.

I don't like it.

No comments: