29 March 2017

Harlots...




Click here to watch videos from this show
Harlots
1 Episode, 4 Clips
Margaret Wells struggles to reconcile her roles as brothel owner and mother to daughters Charlotte and Lucy. When her business comes under attack from Lydia Quigley, a rival madam with a ...


This premiere was a romp… So, I'd seen teasers of it while watching other shows on Hulu, and added it to my Watchlist for when it should come out.

So, starting out, I had concerns it would leave me feeling not-so-good about it like that Jeffery Donovan show Shut Eye did. With that show, I'd only watched the premiere and didn't continue. This one, with all the sex to begin with, I don't know if it was to get it out of their systems or to try and entice people into their world.

Granted, if this were a bunch of good-looking men having relations with each other, I'd probably be feeling another way.

It took them about 15 minutes to really get it out of their system, and I'm glad they'd brought in more of the clever humor they'd more lightly interspersed with the sex scenes. Still, I suppose it is rather historically telling: these things more than likely were what this side 18th-century London had to offer. Including the not-so-aesthetic men.

I found myself trying to learn their names, which is a good sign. I can't help wondering what a gay black dude in this time would've had to resort to, though.

Let's see what next week brings (and I hope there's a gay guy to add something else to this menagerie).

No comments: