27 June 2017

Cultural Parallels

Today at work one of my Jamaican co-workers did something I've seen many Jamaicans do: point at something with her lips.

As I'd posted it on Facebook a few of my friends made me remember that this is not Jamaica-only. I've seen other Caribbeans do it too (although, mostly Dominicans). I do recall seeing Filipinos do it too.

Nothing in this world is entirely unique; it may just be we've not discovered the other one of it. I used to think my name was pretty unique, but then it's not an uncommon name in India. It's still fairly uncommon, but not as rare as one might think.

Jupiter Jones in Jupiter Ascending was the exact genetic replica of the Abraxas matriarch. It was something that would happen eventually, but they'd no idea when it would be until they'd found her. They say individual snowflakes are unique and one-of-a-kind, but the finite atoms on this Earth will produce duplicates eventually.

I'd say, melodramatically, that nothing is special. I'll say that in my head, and say outright that everything can happen again.

No comments: