30 July 2017

Hall of Vallainy

It's funny: I've always had an appreciation and somewhat fascination with the villains of television shows and movies. I'd thought about this some with June Foray's death (and how I'd listen to them speak of her voice-over credits and how they'd include Ducktales' Magica De Spell).

What is it with Magica? I thought she was kind of awesome (or at least cool), even though I couldn't state specifically what brought me to that conclusion. She did sometimes make me chuckle, if not being the situations in which she'd found herself. She wanted Scrooge's first dime, and sought to break his protecto-glass vault shield, and created shadow copies of herself that stole things until one of them galvanized and became a problem. June Foray did no small part to bring life to her.

Ursula from The Little Mermaid was a drag queen, even though she's female. I suppose it was the fabulousness. Suicide Squad's Enchantress, she was kind of interesting in the same way, though not quite as flamboyant.

Somehow I want to add Dame Vaako from The Chronicles of Riddick into this mix, "from here until Underverse come". I suppose one attraction (if not allure) is the sultriness.

She wasn't a villain in the traditional sense, but Polly Walker's Clarice Willow character in Caprica, a strong female antagonist at least, was cool until she started getting reckless. Her sermon at the end of the series was enticing.

One of my favorite childhood villains was, and is, Beast Wars: Transformer's Megatron. He's probably one of the few males on my list. David Kaye's voicing helped immensely, and it's David Kaye and then Frank Welker that I think of in order of Megatrons.

To be continued?

No comments: