26 July 2017

Gender

I remember having a curt-yet-civil discussion with one of my cousins about gender. He wasn't the most flexible of people, but I actually felt glad that I'd had that discussion, especially knowing that both of us are cisgender males.

I've not had too much of a second thought about being male beside that I tend not to fit in a lot of the expectations this world seems to have for cisgender men: liking sports, going outdoors and doing things, breeding... Sometimes I've envied being a woman in the sense of seemingly greater insight into community, togetherness, existing without everything having to be a (physical or verbal) fight. Women have their complications, but transgender women and men have some shit sometimes this world throws at them.

It's not until I'd moved to Georgia that I've actually gotten to know transgender views; it seems they've been more frequent lately. Chelsea Manning, a few fraternity brothers who've become sisters, a few trans-men who've become brothers...

Then I've been hearing more about non-binary people and I can understand the confusion, and why some people refuse to deal with it. Making sure one recognizes everyone is a task.

That doesn't mean we shut anyone out, though, just to make someone's life seemingly easier. Let's see how much harder it gets.

No comments: