06 October 2017

Texting While Driving

I was driving home yesterday, and when I made a turn I came on a car that was driving slowly.

For me to say this, as someone who others have called repeatedly a “slow driver,” this is saying something.

As I came next to her, I’d realized she was on her phone, typing away. I decided to drive in front of her. While I drove, for the next five blocks before my next turn to get home, I would watch her, occasionally not even paying attention that she’s a long distance (like seven car lengths at least distance) behind me and holding up traffic), still typing away. It was infuriating to behold.

What could be that engrossing that you can’t stop and park somewhere to do that? Are you single and trying to develop a relationship? Are you a wife corresponding with your husband? Are you a businesswoman who can’t seem to realize texting business is not a good thing on the road? The relatively calm look on her face didn’t make it seem like something was emergent (and if it were an emergency, I’d imagine she’d be trying to get to the emergency quickly rather than meandering along while drive-texting).

Humans…

No comments: