29 July 2013

"Have a Blessed Day"

One of the people I've followed for years on Twitter posted this:
“Guy @ CVS just handed me my receipt and said ‘Have a blessed day.’ It took restraint not to smile and tell him, ‘Satan and I curse you.’”

That actually had shocked me some, leading me to reply:
“It troubles me a little why such an innocuous statement would cause such a – and thankfully you kept it internal – reaction.”

And it's true: why would such a reaction be one to that statement? I can understand "blessed" can be - for lack of a better phrase - controversial to some people, but still, it's not an overtly proselytizing word. I think it surprises me even more because I know the guy to have been a worker in a number of luxury-class hotels, and so sensitivity to foreign-to-one's-own viewpoints should be the reaction, I think.

I still haven't received a response, but his internal reaction almost seethes with an underlying contempt of Christianity that I fear that the wrong day at the wrong time would have the next person to say such a thing get an earful of unnecessary and somewhat ireful comments.

Still waiting on an answer.

No comments: