20 July 2008

Thoughts About Avatar: The Last Airbender - "Sozin's Comet"

I liked the "movie," actually -put it in quotation marks, since that's how I see it, another attempt to capitalise further on a product - though I've never really been a fan of making everyone go into relationships and all. I tend to like things more when people are focused on what they must do, rather than going into all the emotional tidbits and angst (and even, dare I say, Aangst) of relationships. Why have Aang in a relationship at all? It's just... it doesn't seem to mesh.

The reunion with Iroh, from what I understand of the Fire Nation, is very Fire Nation: tidy, without muss and efficient. From what I've seen of his personality, it seems fitting, though the whatzit... The crying, not so fitting. They could've had him forgive with some more, well, dignity.

The Azula arc, I didn't like that so much, because you just see her go craz(y/ier) and that's it. Maybe because this is animated, it just doesn't feel quite so right, though they could've continued on a little bit. Perhaps something more with her mother, or something.

I really liked the "energy-bending" aspect though. I'd never, ever've thought of that.

Ty Lee, for some reason I thought she was originally a part of the Kyoshi Warriors to begin with but betrayed them (which would've explain, in my head anyway, based on what I've seen of the series why Suki would want revenge). I'd read a little on Wikipedia to fill in a couple of questions, though, and I'd realised the "real" reason she'd want revenge, and that Ty Lee is actually an atypical Fire Nation citizen, which had me like "Hmm... Okay."

Probably as I fill in the holes things may change.

And one more thing: Why the Hell do they spell her name Mai. I keep wanting to pronounce it "my" when they pronounce it "may." If they must pronounce it "may" then why not spell her name Mei. Mei's the Chinese way of spelling her particular name anyway.

No comments: